J Scott is an entrepreneur, investor, advisor, author, and partner at Bar Down Investments, focused on buying and repositioning large multifamily properties. In the past fourteen years, J has bought, built, rehabbed, sold, lent on, and held over $150M in property nationwide. J holds strategic advisor roles in several companies and is the author of five BiggerPockets books on real estate investing.
Listen to the podcast here or on your favorite podcast app:
Watch the Episode here:
- Where and when did you begin your real estate investing journey?
- Take us through the step-by-step real estate negotiation process.
- How do you set up win-win-win strategies so there are no losers?
- What are our biggest mistakes in negotiating, and how can we avoid them?
- What was your most difficult negotiation skill to learn?
- What negotiation skill still to this day gives you the greatest challenge?
- What is one negotiated deal you most wish you could return to redo, and what would you do differently now that you have years of negotiation experience?
- What has been your biggest setback in life?
Connect with J Scott:
Biography of J Scott:
J Scott (he goes by “J”) is an entrepreneur, investor, advisor, author. An engineer and business guy by education, J spent much of his early career in Silicon Valley (California), where he held management positions at several Fortune 500 companies, including Microsoft and eBay. In 2008, J and his wife Carol quit their corporate jobs, moved back East, got married, started a family and decided to focus on real estate and investing. In the past fourteen years, they have bought, built, rehabbed, sold, lent-on and held over $150M in property all around the country. J is also a strategic advisor and mentor to several companies, business owners and entrepreneurs. J is partner at Bar Down Investments, focusing on purchasing and repositioning large multifamily projects. He is the former host of the top-rated Bigger Pockets Business Podcast and is the author of five books on real estate investing, including the best-selling, The Book on Flipping Houses. His books have sold over 350,000 copies in the past nine years and have helped investors from around the world get their start with real estate.